Picture Supply: Getty / Noam Galai
Once you consider Scientology, a number of individuals in all probability come to thoughts: Tom Cruise, John Travolta, and Leah Remini. Whereas Cruise and Travolta are partly identified for his or her unwavering devotion to the “church,” Remini publicly cut up from Scientology in 2013. After having doubts about things the church was doing and questioning the church’s chief, David Miscavige (which is outwardly a giant no-no), about the unknown whereabouts of his wife, the actress had had sufficient.
Along with talking out about her experiences with interviews and a guide, Remini determined to dive even additional into uncovering the church’s corrupt actuality along with her A&E documentary collection, Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath. On the present, she travels across the nation with Mike Rinder, Scientology’s former senior government and one in all Miscavige’s right-hand males, to speak to former church members in regards to the horrors they allegedly endured over time (the church denies all claims made in the show). See the most important bombshells beneath, which embrace pressured abortion and bodily abuse. And you may look ahead to extra, because the present was renewed for a second season.
- The church’s chief, David Miscavige, reportedly beats his employees. A number of former church members have spoken out on the present in regards to the bodily abuse they endured by the hands of Miscavige (he is 5’1″, by the best way). The entire conditions they described embrace the church chief’s angle altering on the drop of a hat and him punching, shoving, and choking them in entrance of different Scientology employees members. At any time when somebody even regarded like they had been about to combat again, a bunch of Miscavige’s males would swoop in and instantly take away that particular person from the constructing. One former church member, Jeff Hawkins, recalled that Miscavige checked out him after bodily assaulting him and stated, “Are you aware why I did that? To remind you who’s boss.”
- Girls within the Sea Org are reportedly pressured to have abortions in the event that they get pregnant. Within the present’s fifth episode, Remini sits down with Marc Headley, a former occasion coordinator and video producer for Scientology, and his spouse, Claire, a former Sea Org member. Whereas working within the Sea Org, a now-land-based group of the church’s most devoted members that management administration operations, and residing on the church’s worldwide headquarters in Hemet, CA, Claire turned pregnant with their first baby. However since Claire alleges that Scientology thinks women in the Sea Org who get pregnant actively want to leave, she was pressured to get an abortion. “If a lady bought pregnant, she would immediately be scheduled to go and get an abortion,” she stated. “If she refused in any method, she could be segregated, not allowed to talk along with her husband, put below safety watch, placed on heavy guide labor, and interrogated for her crimes.” Marc and Claire managed to narrowly escape the church (he says he was run off the street by church members in an SUV; she says she snuck out of Walmart and hopped on a bus), however that may by no means take away their ache. “I can go, ‘Properly, now I’ve three lovely kids who’re my life,'” she continued. “But it surely does not make me really feel higher about not being robust sufficient to inform them to go f*ck themselves.”
Picture Supply: Getty / Pierre-Philippe Marcou
- Regardless of escaping the church, some individuals are reportedly nonetheless tracked down and introduced again. Claire and Marc additionally went into element in regards to the heavy safety that Sea Org members are reportedly below once they dwell on the base in Hemet. Along with safety cameras being in every single place, their outgoing mail is all the time learn earlier than being despatched, they’re on strict meal schedules, and the fence that surrounds the property has massive spikes on either side, which prevents anybody from coming into or leaving. Claire revealed that when her buddy tried to flee, she fell in a ditch outdoors the property and was introduced proper again in by church members and placed on heavy labor responsibility. She additionally stated she knew one member who fled all the best way to South Africa, the place he was tracked down and introduced again.
- Personal investigators reportedly employed by Scientology adopted Remini in the course of the filming of the present. Within the fifth episode of the present, Remini and Rinder are driving once they discover a suspicious-looking automotive shut by. After signaling to the automotive a number of occasions that he can go, he refuses. After they pull up subsequent to him and ask him who he’s, he says he works for TMZ, however suspiciously does not have a digicam and shortly drives away. After they then pull into their resort, two males are sitting within the foyer with their telephones pointed at Remini’s automotive. The resort supervisor asks if they’re company, and so they each shortly stand up to go away. Rinder confronts them, they act like they do not know something, and Remini later reveals that one of many males is a personal investigator (oh, and the TMZ man was driving the PI’s spouse’s automotive).
- Church members will spend 1000’s of making an attempt to succeed in the very best stage of spirituality in Scientology. Scientology was based by a person named L. Ron Hubbard, who believed that you want to clear your self of your “reactive thoughts” with a purpose to advance up “the Bridge of Whole Freedom.” Folks do that by auditing classes, the place a Scientology auditor asks the particular person a collection of questions whereas they maintain two steel cans connected to a machine. The machine tells the auditor if the particular person is telling the reality, and with a purpose to proceed to develop spiritually, church members should pay for costly programs with a purpose to enhance. It additionally must be famous that Hubbard holds the Guinness World Document for most published works by one author (and so they’re principally science fiction) . . .
- When you depart the church, you’ll almost definitely lose your whole household. If a member of the church speaks out towards Scientology or decides to go away, they are going to be labeled a “suppressive particular person” (watch Tom Cruise talk about it at the 4:29 mark). If the remainder of that particular person’s household continues to be within the church, they are going to be pressured to disconnect from that particular person, which suggests chopping off all communication and basically by no means seeing them once more.
- David Miscavige reportedly advised non-public investigators to let his father die. David’s father, Ron, was the one who bought his son concerned in Scientology when he was a younger boy. However after years within the church and being closely monitored whereas residing on the base in Hemet, Ron and his spouse, Becky, determined to plan their escape. In episode 4 of the present, Ron advised Remini that he knew he wanted to get out after he walked by his son in the future and determined to say hi there. “Dave checked out me and I knew that I had carried out the flawed factor,” he stated. “By calling him Dave,” Remini clarified, to which he replied, “Sure.” After Ron and Becky lastly escaped, his son employed non-public investigators to comply with him, one in all whom was introduced in for questioning by police and revealed all the pieces. In accordance with Ron, the investigator advised police that once they noticed Ron have what seemed to be a coronary heart assault (he was merely holding his mobile phone in place in his chest pocket), they known as David to see if they need to intervene, however David replied, “If it is my father’s time to die, let him die.”
- Scientologists imagine they’ve the remedy for psychological sickness. Within the present’s season finale, Leah sat down with Brandon Reisdorf, a former church member who suffers from bipolar dysfunction. On the time of their interview, Brandon was in psychiatric care however his household agreed to let him inform his story. Whereas Brandon stated he is doing significantly better now that he is within the care of precise docs, he detailed his horrific time within the church. After one in all his psychological breakdowns, the church determined to offer him an “introspection rundown,” or what they assume is the remedy for psychological sickness. It includes locking the particular person in a room till their “episode” passes, which they assume means their physique is rid of the sickness for good. Scientologists are additionally well-known for hating psychology and pondering you’ll be able to deal with psychological sickness with nutritional vitamins and intense auditing classes (as seen in this infamous Tom Cruise interview with Matt Lauer).